Cathedral Church of the Advent_Birmingham_Alabama_United States
|March 4, 2013||Posted by WhereTheChurch under North-america|
|Address||Cathedral Church of the Advent,2017 Sixth Avenue North, Birmingham, AL|
|Telephone||(205) 251-2324 |
The Cathedral Church of the Advent in Birmingham, Alabama, is the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama. On March 30, 1983, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Episcopal Church of the Advent.
The parish church of the Advent was established in 1872, one year after the founding of the city of Birmingham, and was one of the first churches built in the new city. The first building on this site was completed in 1873, but was soon after destroyed by fire. The present structure, was occupied in 1883, with completion of the tower and portico in 1885. The Cathedral is known for its historical location on Twentieth Street near Linn Park, as well as for the reputation of its music program. It was not until 1982, that the Church of the Advent became a cathedral, when the Diocese of Alabama sanctioned it as its seat.
A major project to preserve the sandstone exterior of the Cathedral was undertaken between 1999 and 2005. During this same period the Rector’s Garden was redesigned to improve drainage and accommodate a columbarium and the belltower was refitted for a carillon of fifteen bells, cast by Fonderie Paccard of Lac d’Annecy, France. Also in both 2005 and 2012, the cathedral choir was named “Best Church Choir” by readers of the Birmingham News. Today, the Church of the Advent comprises nearly 4000 members, making it one of the 10 largest Episcopal churches in the United States.The current Dean of the Cathedral is the Very Reverend Frank F. Limehouse, III. The Cathedral is also home to the Advent Episcopal Day School.